CBA Code of Conduct for Coaches & Team Trainers
(must be signed off prior to every season)
*I will be reasonable when scheduling practices and other events, remembering that young athletes have other interests and obligations.
*I will teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents and encourage them to be good sports.
*I will remind my athletes that winning a game or a trophy isn’t the only measure of success.
*I will ensure that ALL athletes get appropriate instruction, support and playing time.
*I will not ridicule or yell at my athletes for making mistakes or for performing poorly.
*I will encourage my athletes, offer constructive criticism, and maintain a positive attitude.
*I will remember that athletes play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
*I will remember that children need a coach they can respect.
*I will remember to set a good example as actions speak louder than words.
*I will maintain a supportive attitude and I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
*I will not use bad language, nor will I harass or heckle athletes, coaches, umpires, other spectators, or Club officials by way of emails, voice messages, text messages (including “tweeting”) and social network postings.
*I will demonstrate respect and comply with the umpires’ decisions and decisions of the Discipline Committee. I understand that while I can request an umpire clarify/discuss a ruling, the final decision rests with the Umpire.
*I will help prevent injuries, including concussions by ensuring athletes wear the proper protective equipment (e.g. helmets), and wear it correctly.
*I understand that a concussion is a brain injury that can have both short and long-term effects. A blow to the head, face or neck, or a blow to the body that causes the brain to move around inside the skull may cause a concussion; a person doesn’t need to lose consciousness to have had a concussion.
I commit to:
• Reporting injuries and any possible concussion of an athlete, coach, trainer or umpire using the CBA online reporting tool, within 24hrs of knowledge of an injury.
• Providing opportunities at each practice and game to enable athletes, parents/guardians and coaches to discuss any potential issues relating to injuries and/or concussions.
• Following the CBA Concussion Policy and Protocols including Remove from Sport and Return to Sport Protocols.
I hereby acknowledge and confirm:
• I have reviewed the Concussion Awareness Resources provided by the Province of Ontario, located here: www.ontario.ca/concussions.
• I have reviewed and agree to abide by the CBA Concussion Policy, including Remove from Sport and Return to Sport Protocols.