CBA Code of Conduct for Umpires
*I will officiate by the rules.
*I will ensure that I am knowledgeable of the rules.
*I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my officiating skills.
*I will be objective and consistent in officiating the game regardless of my feelings toward a player, a coach or a team.
*I will handle all conflicts firmly and with dignity.
*I will avoid, or put an end to any situation that threatens the safety of the players.
*I will control my temper. Personal criticism of any person by word or gesture is unacceptable.
*I will show respect for the participants and their skills.
*I will not permit the intimidation of any participant either by word or by action.
*I will not tolerate unacceptable conduct toward myself, other officials, players, coaches or spectators.
*I will refrain from profanity. Verbal abuse towards players, managers, coaches, officials or spectators will not be tolerated including emails, voice messages, text messages (as well as “tweeting”) and social network postings.
*I will generally warn players of unacceptable behaviour before taking further action for a second offence, although I reserve the right to cite or eject a player or coach for a first offence.
*I will help prevent injuries, including concussions by ensuring that athletes and myself are wearing the proper protective equipment (e.g. helmets), and wearing them correctly.
*I understand that a concussion is a brain injury that can have both short and long-term effects. A blow to the head, face or neck, or a blow to the body that causes the brain to move around inside the skull may cause a concussion; a person doesn’t need to lose consciousness to have had a concussion.
I commit to:
• Reporting injuries and any possible concussion to the UIC using the CBA online reporting tool, within 24hrs of knowledge of an injury regardless of where the injury occurred (e.g. during a baseball event, at school, or in another sport).
• Sharing any pertinent information regarding my injuries, suspected or confirmed concussion and any removal from sport with my school and any other sport organization where I am registered.
• Maintaining an open dialog with my Umpire in Chief and the CBA Board of Directors to discuss any potential issues relating to injuries and/or concussions.
• Following the CBA Concussion Policy including Remove from Sport and Return to Sport Protocols.
I hereby acknowledge and confirm:
• I have reviewed the Concussion Awareness Resources provided by the Province of Ontario, located here: www.ontario.ca/concussions.
• I understand that if a concussion is suspected, I will be removed from sport and not able to return until I am cleared by a physician or nurse practitioner to do so.
• I understand that my return to sport may be graduated to ensure my safety (e.g. limited activity).
• I have reviewed and agree to abide by the CBA Concussion Policy, including Remove from Sport and Return to Sport Protocols.